Friday, January 13, 2012

Secrets Don't Make Friends

Wouldn't Want To Be Them

The case studies presented in this week’s readings cover such a broad range of ethical situations that it’s clear there is not really any right answer to these daunting questions. It has also shown me how tough it is to be a judge. If I were presented with a situation where I had to decide whether or not release secret information, I would certainly have to weigh the factors we have discussed in class and read in the text. That may seem like the easy answer, but the truth is, one can’t know until that unique situation.
 
One of the case studies that stood out the most to me was the one on page 47 of “Media Ethics.” A reporter is presented with a tape that shows a murder suspect speaking to his lawyer. The act of filming the confidential exchange was illegal. So when the government came asking for the source, the reporter would not give them up because of her right to keep her source confidential. So they then targeted her husband, who drove her to the exchange in order to find the information.
 
This is a worst-case scenario. Not only was the reporter faced with the extremely difficult decision of using the confidential information in the video, but then her husband was targeted because he was helping her. Since he wasn’t a reporter, logically that would make one think he is fair game to force his cooperation. But do we really want that woman wandering into a stranger’s house alone with no support? No.  If I were the reporter in this situation, I probably would act just as she did. She didn’t release the law-breaking recording, which allowed for the suspect to have a fair trial. But the attempt to flush out the source seems to go a bit far. The husband was acting as personal security. I side with the reporters on this one.
 
In my current position, which doesn’t call for any type of boundary pushing, my criterion for keeping information secret is fairly simple. If releasing the information would put my family, friends or me in any type of danger, either physically or emotionally, I wouldn’t do it.  I hope to never be in a position where things get more complicated. When I think of a situation like Wikileaks, my outside opinion is always to side with our government. There is obviously corruption and wrongdoing that goes on, but I’d rather enemy groups didn’t know about it.
 
Plato's Cave
The fallout from releasing once secret information can be seen on a daily basis. It seems like this year has had more scandal than others I can remember. Or maybe I’m just paying attention more. When controversial secret information comes out, the backlash is complete media immersion. If the topic is somehow sports related, all sports outlets drop everything and talk about it. The same goes for entertainment and those outlets. I often wonder if these situations hinder the process of selecting an unbiased jury. So this must be considered when an individual intends to expose something. Passing on a rumor could completely ruin someone’s life.
 

 
Photo Credits: 
http://img.tgdaily.com/sites/default/files/stock/450teaser/gavel.jpg
http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/PlatosCave.gif)

No comments:

Post a Comment